Website St. Benedict's Abbey
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Supervisor: Executive Director of Operations and Finance
Job Status: Regular/Full-time
Effective: 24 January 2023
The Mission of St. Benedict’s Abbey:
To glorify God by seeking him through joyful self-sacrifice; embracing fully the monastic and apostolic ideals; leading others to encounter Jesus Christ, who brings us all together to eternal life.
This dynamic full‐time position interfaces directly with the Executive Director and Monastic Leadership. The ideal candidate will have qualifications and skills that demonstrate their ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with nonprofit benefactors, friends, organizations, external consultants, and Abbey staff and directors. The Director of Strategic Initiatives gives leadership to organization wide efforts by enhancing performance, identifying new strategies, and ensuring overall project success. They will be responsible for coordinating multiple projects simultaneously and securing project goals, success factors, project plans, budgets, and schedules with input and buy-in from key stakeholders and team members. The Director monitors and measures project progress, communicates project status to all partners and highlights when corrective action is necessary to successfully achieve project goals in the most cost-effective and time-saving manner possible.
The Director will be required to go beyond project management and provide proactive advice and analysis to the Executive Director and Monastic Leadership regarding resources, opportunities, and possible obstacles. They ensure coordination between related projects and sub-projects. They maintain a high degree of collaboration across the organization, developing networks, providing mentoring opportunities, and facilitating resources and knowledge sharing among staff.
Additionally, this position requires the ability to work as an effective team member in a fast-paced, result-driven environment.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
· Represent St. Benedict’s Abbey, its values, and priorities, as a face of the organization, in the community and with the general public.
· Manage and implement strategic initiatives with broad impact by collaborating with key stakeholders to enhance overall performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives.
· Design and lead collaborative, complex, and diversified projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, managing budgets, and ensuring accountability.
· Decisions may have program-wide impact and bind the organization financially or legally.
· Helps meet or exceed the specified annual financial goals set by the Abbey
· Other duties as needed
Society of St. Benedict Professionals
Minimum four-year degree from an accredited institution
Five to seven years or more director level strategic planning experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Deep knowledge or understanding of the Catholic faith
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Creativity coupled with values-driven leadership skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Advanced social media skills
- Well-developed analytical mind
- Effective interpersonal relationship skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other departments within the Abbey (Especially Communications and Marketing)
- Knowledge of grant writing and research preferred
- Oversee and lead multiple projects
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to regularly sit stand, bend, stoop, and occasionally reach overhead. Will occasionally lift small items weighing up to 15 pounds.
The work environment is typically an indoor office setting or traveling to appointments.
Salary determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel are offered access to a benefits package including health insurance.
To be considered for this position, please complete an online application, and submit additional documents at:
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org