Come Meet Your Friends at the Atchison Farmers Market and Celebrate Our 20th Year!
This Season make Atchison Farmers Market your Saturday morning ritual and tell all your friends and family: “Meet Me at The Market,” for fresh produce, meats, homemade baked goods, jams, jellies, freshly brewed coffee, bedding plants and more! Atchison Farmers' Market has a variety of entertainment, including Celebrity Chef Market-to-Kitchen Meal Demos, musicians, and fun, Farmers Market produce-related contests. There will be five special events this summer in cooperation with the City of Atchison:
- “Spring on the Table” on June 9;
- “Tortilla Grande Festival” on July 14;
- “Tomato or ‘Apple of Paradise’ Festival” on August 11;
- And, two great fun activities for kids –
- “The Zucchini 500 Race” on September 9;
- “The Great Pumpkin” painting contest on October 13
Why Shop the Atchison Farmers Market?
From savoring produce at the peak of freshness to meeting the people who grow your food, there are countless reasons to support farmers markets. Here are just a few!
1. Connect with Your Community - Visiting your friends at the Atchison Farmers Market makes shopping a pleasure rather than a chore. The Farmers Market is a community hub—a place to meet up with your friends, bring your children, or just get a taste of small-town life. Wouldn’t you rather stroll amidst outdoor stalls of fresh produce on a sunny day than roll your cart around a grocery store with artificial lights and piped in music?
2. Taste Real Flavors -Atchison Farmers Market fruits and vegetables are the freshest and tastiest available. Fruits are allowed to ripen fully in the field and are brought directly to you—no long-distance shipping and no gassing to simulate the ripening process. This food is fresh from the farm!
3. Enjoy the Season - Shopping and cooking from the farmers market helps you to reconnect with the cycles of nature in our region. As you look forward to asparagus in spring, savor sweet corn in summer, or bake pumpkins in autumn, you reconnect with the earth, the weather, and the turning of the year.
4. Learn Cooking Tips, Recipes, and Meal Ideas - Few grocery store cashiers or produce stockers will give you tips on how to cook the ingredients you buy, but farmers, ranchers, and artisans at the Atchison Farmers Market... [Read More]
Adapted from original CUESA article: https://cuesa.org/learn/10-reasons-support-farmers-markets
When and Where
Market opening day is Saturday, May 19, 2018. The last market day of the season is Saturday, October 27, 2018. The market is open on Wednesdays from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to Noon.
Chef Jasper Mirabile of Jasper’s Kansas City Italian Restaurant will prepare his signature tableside fresh mozzarella cheese, served with farm-fresh tomatoes on Saturday, August 4, 2018. Chef Alli Winter of Chef Alli’s Farm Fresh Kitchen show us what she means by her signature phrase "Let's Get You Cookin'!" Chef Alli will join us on August 11, and via Facebook Live, to show you how to browse, select and and create a quick, easy, delicious and nutritious meal from your Atchison Farmers Market locally grown produce!
Fresh food for all
The market participates in the Kansas Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program coupons. Credit and debit cards are welcome. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) card users are encouraged to use their cards to double their buying power under a grant, “Double-Up” program. The Market Manager has a card reader for all EBT transactions.
Throughout the 2018 Season, Atchison Farmers Market will keep you updated on all of our vendors’ offerings. To help you determine when certain produce is in season, please click on this link: Specialty Crop Seasonality calendar.
See you at the Market!